Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Admitting defeat


Sometimes with any handicraft there is a point where you just have to admit that it's not working out. It's best to cut your losses and either start over or set it aside.

A certain mama amongst us is due with number 2 in just 6 weeks. I thought I'd be extra early and knit her something now. I saw this pure wool in Austria and snapped up a couple skeins of each in navy and orange - 2 skeins is normally enough for a newborn cardigan style top. I had read that this striped pattern was particularly yarn hungry so I bought extra thinking that I might have enough to do one for myself if I have a boy.

After knitting about half the jacket I realised I was going to run out of yarn - despite the pattern saying I had enough. Other knitters had complained about this on Ravelry. I also decided that the colours were probably a bit out there for this mama's tastes. I love orange and navy but it's not to everyone's taste. So I frogged it - a knitting term for rip it, rip it, rip it.

Second attempt was this all in one seamless baby kimono. Again the pattern said 100g of yarn was enough, this is exactly what I had. I knew from the beginning it was going to be close but was determined to keep knitting until it was finished or the yarn ran out. As you can see, the yarn ran out. NOOOO! Not twice?

Today I did a speedy trip with screaming Master R to my LYS (local yarn store for the non knitters) and picked up some yarn and have started something tried and true. This HAS to work or a certain mama will be getting a store bought gift.

Or maybe a gift voucher hahahaha!

3 comments:

  1. Awww- how frustrating. The sweaters are beautiful. That is so sweet of you. I can't believe you've gone to so much trouble. It's the thought that counts! Go take a break- have I mentioned my new obsession Haagen Dazs 5 Mint- very yummy.

    Your baby is getting a store bought gift - I'd be too nervous knitting for you and showing you my errors. You're the best. :)


    FYI baby is coming in 4 1/2 weeks- don't make this pregnancy one day longer than it has to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4.5 weeks. Whoops. I really should know that since our actual due dates are a day or so apart.

    You'll get something handknitted, errors and all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mama N, what I love about you is you take on challenging, highly skilled projects. I am always reminding myself to choose a pattern where I will be learning something new about knitting. Although usually it's just baby steps. Right now I am knitting a baby kimono and have learned the knit-front-to-back stitch. There are so many babies on the way! I feel like I need to pick up my knitting speed so I can have some finished objects for these little ones by the time they arrive!

    ReplyDelete