Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Patchwork inspiration

Source: JenSport's shop

If you haven't yet discovered Etsy then you're in for a handmade treat. This website is a market place for thousands and thousands of crafters to sell their wares. Anything and everything handmade or home made or vintage or not. It's main downfall is that there is so much on offer that it can get confusing. But I've made a few fabulous purchases from recrafted vintage jewellery to baby bibs, vintage clothing, new clothing and now a patchwork quilt pattern.

I made my first patchwork quilt - or started my first quilt - when I was about 8 years old. Mum wouldn't let me use her sewing machine and made me sew each little hexagon and triangle by hand. I don't think I did ever finish it and I have no idea what happened to those little cut out scraps of pink and while fabric. Since then I have done a lot of sewing and inspired by Mama H's beautiful quilt am ready to tackle my own, this time with my trusty sewing machine.

My first project was going to be something boyish for Master R. However when I saw this Union Jack I just had to do it. While I'm not British. I've lived here since the end of 2000, with a two year stint in New York of course, practically all my adult life. I have a British passport and now so does Master R. I do feel a certain pull towards the Ol' Blighty but in a different way to my deep smugness and pride of being Australian*.

After searching ebay, I've bought some red, white and blue fabric and will be commencing this hopefully while my mother is staying so she can help me with the finer points of patchwork such as what backing and padding to use and the best method of finishing. Let's hope it's a quickish project and I can show you some finished pics in the not too distant future.

*During my very pompous group naturalisation ceremony the Lord conducting it turned to me in front of the others and asked where my allegiance lay in regards to the cricket. He said that was the true test of Britishness. I'm sorry to say I have zero interest in cricket but of course my allegiance is with Australia. If Australia and England play rugby, I'm rooting for Australia. If a Brit and and American are playing tennis, I'm all for the Brit. If Germany and England are playing football (soccer to you) I have to go for Germany or be booted out of my home. We are a confused household!

No comments:

Post a Comment