Monday, September 28, 2009

And still more finished gifts



As mentioned in a previous post I've been knitting so much for others that I forgot that my own poor son Master R doesn't have a hat or gloves for winter. After a little searching through Ravelry I found this free pattern for the Norwegian Earflap hat. I love the challenge of knitting this intarsia star pattern and yet the speed you can finish it since it's a small project.

After knitting Master R's hat I liked it so much that I made another one for a friend's little boy's 2nd birthday. I did it without a pompom. I personally like it with the pompom but wasn't sure about it - I'm always so insecure with my knitting and not sure that people will like it. That's why I've only just started gift knitting again. So what do you think? With or without pompom?

The final picture is the back of a coat I knitted. The pattern looks incredibly complex but it honestly just looks that way. When we moved back to London from New York in February I wanted to bring along one big project that would keep me going for the 12 weeks until our boxes arrived. This was the perfect project. It's all done in moss (seed) stitch (k1, p1) so it takes a while. And you do need to concentrate on getting the vines and flowers in the right place. I had finished it months ago except one sleeve which I finished just before Master T was born. I really do need to take some nice pictures of it though. The buttons are just beautiful

In hindsight I really wish that I'd done this in grey. I love wearing grey and don't enjoy purple so much. But I was really trying to get out of my grey rut where everything I was knitting myself was grey. I've given up now and will just knit in grey because then I know I'll wear it. So while this isn't technically a gift knit, I'll probably not wear it often and should really give it away. It's just about finding someone who does like purple handknitted coats.

3 comments:

  1. With! With pom-pom! Do it now, before he's old enough to object. That is just the perfect little-boy hat.

    And I hear you on the grey rut - I have greyitis - I would like to take all my black basics and bleach them down to a nice pewter. BUT, a purple knit coat has some mega wow factor. Wear it regally, like the queenie you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama N, that purple coat is gorgeous. I love all the detail. I can't imagine successfully knitting such an intricate project (and in an adult size!). You chose such a beautiful shade of purple too. I miss having your input on my yarn purchases. I will second (or third?) the love of grey clothes. I much prefer grey to black now. Love the little boy hat too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote pom pom- maybe I will try it though I'm very scared. It may take a few skype calls to figure it out :) Purple is such a good color for you- definitely will give some wow factor. If you are going to handkint an item- you should want it to stand out!

    ReplyDelete