Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Fulltime help: do I really need it?

Source: Unrealitymag.com
With great trepidation I hired a nanny - fulltime! I've ummed and arghed about it and still am not quite sure about it. Do I really need fulltime help when Master R is already in nursery 3 days a week? Sure I can't do anything with Master T glued to my hip but I like to feel independent. I always think about my mother raising 4 of us with no help. Then I have to remember the nervous breakdown.

When we last brought up this issue here on the blog I remember Mama LS saying that having the help enables he to be a better mother and wife. This is the crux of the issue - I'm a bit of a stressed, exhausted, disorganised mess at the end of the day. Mr M would like to come home and have a conversation not just incoherent grunts.

Currently I have a young neighbour come over for an hour each evening and just hold Master T while I do the bedtime routine with Master R. It's lovely to have that one on one time with each child and not frantically throw Master R in bed while Master T screams.

With that in mind I went ahead and hired a nanny, F. It was a very short interview. She's very young and very pretty (perhaps too pretty!), quite shy and, importantly German so she can continue with the boys' bilingual exposure. Rather than the gruelling interview I'm going to give her a 2 week trial where she and assess the situation after that. F will work with us from 12 until 7 so I'll still have the mornings with my boys. And I'll be here at home with her 90% of the time anyway.

I'm quite nervous about it but also welcoming the time I'll have to get this house sorted out, cook meals for the family and pursue other career options. I'll report back soon.

1 comment:

  1. Funnily the nanny quit after 3 days. She claimed that looking after young boys was too difficult. Mind you she only ever had one of the boys at a time, mostly Master T. Hmmm, 5mth old babies are easy! Feel like a supermum right now.

    I've also decided that I wasn't comfortable with someone in my home fulltime. I need my space and missed the intamacy I had with each of the boys. The solution is that I'll try book Master T into creche at my gym 2-3 times a week and enrol him in nursery 1.5 days a week. I'll then get a day a week completely to myself and half a day with Master R alone. Result!

    I'm glad I went through this experience. It shows what happens when you allow your man to choose a nanny - you get an attractive but useless one!

    ReplyDelete