Monday, February 1, 2010

Revisiting real nappies

Source: ittibitti.com.au

A while ago I wrote about my attempts at using real nappies with Master R. Despite my best efforts it wasn't very successful. They just leaked too much. I can't do nappy changes every 1-2 hours. I think he was too active for them.

However, I'm using the same size, large, for Master T with great success! They last for 2-3 hours between changes and look great too. It's so cute seeing him in little red, blue or yellow nappies. I have about 7 sets and just throw them straight in the washing machine as they're soiled. Once I've used them all I just switch on the machine (no fabric softener though as this effects the absorbency). Once washed just throw in the dryer and viola, nappies ready. I really don't find them any more difficult than disposables. I'm also saving money but better still, the environment.

These real nappies are not going to work for the long term but if I can enjoy them for the next few months that's good enough for our pocket and carbon footprint!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Mama N- you are brave. Mister R was just saying yesterday how Master L was doing better w/his poop throughs and this morning we had the worst ever. I cringe at the number of diapers I use- but there's just no way w/these boys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me, Master T has major blowouts! Had two already today. I had to say sorry to the heating engineer as he screwed up his nose at the smell. But the larger real nappy captures them better than the disposables.

    I don't use the real nappies at night though or I wake up with a wet patch!

    ReplyDelete