Thursday, April 22, 2010

My new toy


In a quest to make perfectly decorated cupcakes I purchased a squeezy bag type cake icing kit. The very first time I used it the bag split and I was in the middle of making cupcakes for Master R's birthday party at nursery. I was very peeved to say the least. I kept researching and found this cake and biscuit (cookie) gun type decorator. I'd read mixed reviews on Amazon but decided to give it a try.

These mini cupcakes were the first attempt. These are bite sized cupcake wrappers and a bit of a pain to spoon all the mix into them. Problem solved - add the mixture into the gun with the largest nozzle and squeeze it in. Icing them took a bit of practise and most of these were done one handed with squirmy Master T on my hip. But the decorator is really easy to use and user friendly.

Included in the set is a set of biscuit molds. I couldn't quite get the concept of them until I actually used them. They are little metal plates with cutouts which create different shapes as you squeeze the biscuit mix through creating "press cookies". I used this recipe but I didn't put the egg white on top.

It was so much fun! The cookies are really small and thin. I overcooked the first lot as you can see in the picture. They're a bit brown for my liking. They only need 6 minutes in the oven.

They are a lovely little biscuit and very elegant looking for gifts. Next time I make them I'll halve the recipe (it yields 8 dozen! I was sick of the sight of them and so were our neighbours) and make little hearts which I'll half dip in chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment