Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Cracking the Victoria sponge

I can't explain why but I've been truly afraid of baking a Victoria sponge. I've baked since I could talk but never a sponge. My maternal grandma and great grandma were both famous for their sponges, as they're called in Australia. Both used a slightly different recipe one with 4 eggs, the other with 3. One with custard powder, one without. My mother prefers the less eggy recipe of my great grandma (which is the Fielder's sponge off the cornflour packet) so this is the one I chose to tackle first.

With a brunch invitation last weekend it was time to attempt this baking triumph. Stupidly I started at around 10pm the night before. I followed the recipe beating all eggs perfectly, lining and flouring the tin. I put the mix in the oven and held my breath for 17 minutes.

Initially I was not disappointed, the cake had risen perfectly and was beautifully even. But it quickly sank in the middle. I admitted defeat, texted my mum saying it was all over. We'd be eating a fruit platter tomorrow. But to my surprise, and delight, the next morning I unwrapped the tea towel and underneath was a beautifully flat sponge! I carefully cut it in half, spread the lower half with strawberry jam and whipped (a bit over whipped sadly) fresh cream, and then topped with more cream and fresh British strawberries. It really was good and my friends really appreciated it. Silly I know, but I kind of feel that I've accomplished the ultimate goal of a baker since my pavlovas are damn good too.

Of course I'll share the recipe with you! Here's the Fielder's Famous Sponge recipe here. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment