Friday, July 30, 2010

Carnival cooking

Yesterday was my sons' nursery carnival. Each parent was asked to bring a plate of food from their country. Since I have two boys and we're Australian/German I thought it was only fair that I make two dishes.

The Australian contribution was going to be Lamingtons but I ran out of time so made up the cute little mini cupcakes instead. The parents ate them all before the teachers had a chance to hand them out to the kids. All 120 went within an hour (mind you I might have eaten a dozen before delivering them...).

My man is German. We spend a lot of time there an in Austria at our flat and luckily I love the rich food. I've tried buying German cookbooks and attempting to translate them but the problem is that I can't find the right ingredients here. Sometimes I can find them in Polish shops, but it's just so hard. Then I found Modern German Food by Roz Denny. I've made a couple of things from it and can actually find everything in need on Ocado.

I decided to make Reibekuchen mi Katenspeck un Kaese - potato pancakes with katenspeck (bacon) and cheese. It seems like a good idea as I peeled the potatoes and then I realised that I gave away my food processor when I left the US because it wouldn't work here. I then had to grate 2.5kgs of potatoes by hand! These little pancakes took me 2 hours to make. Luckily my little Master T slept then whole time. But hardly a productive way to spend 2 precious baby-free hours.

The result was worth it. These little pancakes were delicious and a couple of German mums commented on how good they were. The man's verdict? Nice but too fatty - from the man who loves pork crackling!

No comments:

Post a Comment