Friday, August 6, 2010

Homemade seedy granola

I've eaten Dorset Cereals muesli for over 4 years and recently have switched to Lovedean granola. But my man pointed out Lovedean was over 30% fat spoiling my new breakfast fav. I also want to get my 2.5 year old to eat something other than plain oats with milk or a banana smoothie for breakfast. Generally anything with sultanas is a hit.

I'm very particular about my granola. I don't like too much dried fruit, especially cranberries, preferring to add my own fresh fruit, and I do like lots of seeds and not too many nuts.

After playing around until it looked right, this is the recipe I came up with. And it's good! Master R thinks it's great too. Although he does pick out all the sultanas and give the rest to me. We'll stick to smoothies for him for a while.

Seedy Granola
4 cups oats
1/2 slivered almonds
1 cup dessicated coconut
2 cups mixed seeds (Neal's Yard salad sprinkle)
1 cup maple syrup
1 cup sultanas (raisins)

Preheat oven to 180C (350F).

Mix all ingredients except sultanas. Spread out on a large baking tray. Place in oven and brown for 1 to 1 1/4 hours turning every 15 minutes until it is nicely browned.

Add sultanas. Serve topped with yoghurt and fresh berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment