Sunday, February 21, 2010

Super quick homemade ice cream

Source: Unholylab

Most of you know that I'm an ice cream addict. I've tried so hard to stay away from it recently because I know that I can't stop until I eat the whole tub! I just keep thinking of all that sugar and fat going through my milk into Master T. But today I felt like some ice cream and I recalled a quick recipe that my mother used to make. It's super quick and super easy. It's also low fat, and doesn't contain any of the nasties that commercial brands contain.

All you do is freeze a tin of low fat evaporated milk. Allow to soften slightly, add a 300ml tub of low fat double cream, approx. 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tsp natural vanilla essence and whip with a hand mixer but not too much - you don't want whipped cream. Freeze. Once frozen allow to soften slightly and then whip again. I just used a fork and then froze again until firm and ate! The more you freeze and then whip the fluffier it becomes but I found just the once was fine.

Just omit the vanilla and add any flavour. I'm going to grate some dark chocolate and add cocoa. Can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Will have to give it a try when it's warmer here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama N, I can't wait to try this ice cream recipe. Some of my favorite childhood memories with my grandmother were making homemade ice cream at her house in the summer. I love that it is simple and can easily be tweaked to make different flavors. I would love to try my favorite flavor mint chocolate chip. Mama V, you'll love my latest indulgence which is to eat a pint of mint chocolate chip while watching 30 Rock episodes On Demand.

    ReplyDelete