Thursday, February 19, 2009

The hierarchy of strollers

Source: Celebrity Shopping Blog

There is a hierarchy of strollers. And the Bugaboo reins supreme. I have discovered this over the past few days while pushing Master R around London in his freebie umbrella stroller. The looks other mamas give me! You'd think it was persecuting the poor little fellow. Or that I was in need of a federal bailout.

I agree, my freebie is a terrible stroller, but it's easier for me in my state (12 weeks pregnant) to push him than to ergo it any longer. But I refused to fly BA with my stroller after 3 mamas I know have had theirs broken. So now I'm awaiting it's delivery with the rest of my airfreight which is sitting at Heathrow for customs clearance.

It's the looks of pity that get me the most. Now I'm wondering if I too was the giver of these looks?

In Battery Park just about everyone has a "bug". Or if they have two kiddies it's the Phil and Teds. With my terribly poor vision it's the stroller I see first - bright green bug coming towards me, oh it's either Mama A or Mama V, bright orange is Mama J, beige is Mama G, Mama H however bucks the trend with a Stokke.

A friend is due with number 1 in April and hasn't bought a thing yet. I gave her a list of things she needs including the bug. She baulked at the suggestion saying that everyone in Chiswick has one and she wants something different. Well dir! There's a reason everyone has a £800/$1000 stroller - it's the best!! She's coming around but is insisting on a test drive of mine first.

So if I gave you looks of pity in the past I am really sorry and will attempt to remember this experience with my umbrella stroller.


PS. I agree that if you're getting in and out of cars all day the bug is NOT the stroller for you. Despite the company's claims, it is not easy to fold and doesn't fold flat enough for a boot/trunk. So you are better off with something else such as a Maclaren. (Most mamas in Battery Park had a Mac for subways and cars.)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the suggestion dear. I totally agree with you that bug is not the right one to choose. I’ve tried many strollers from bugaboo, Maclaren etc; none of them satisfied me .At present I'm using Hauck stroller which is easy to push, fold and comfortable for my baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome iccobaby1 and thanks for being the first to comment. I've also never heard of Haucks before until you pointed them out. Will take a look at their doubles if I decide I need one.

    ReplyDelete