Thursday, February 26, 2009

Please love my baby

Source: Babble

I hired a babysitter yesterday. She was the first and only babysitter I interviewed. As soon as I saw G I knew she was right. She's a grad student, very sweet and yet firm, and, the clincher, she's German (Mr M is German and speaks exclusively to Master R in German). I didn't ask for references, just simply for ID, emergency contacts and contact details.

We chatted about Germany, our families, her studies and the hours she can do (two days a week). She played with Master R a little (he was indifferent), and tried to give him some milk from his sippy cup (again, he wasn't interested).

Maybe you think I'm irresponsible, but the approach worked so well for me in New York. We had two incredible nannies there. The first, T, was referred to me by a mother I met in the park one sunny weekend. T worked for their family 3.5 days a week and needed another 1.5 days. I met T and offered her the job on the spot. Eventually the other family needed T fulltime so I was in need of another nanny.

The second nanny, S, was referred to me from HRPMamas discussion board. I decided that I should meet two nannies just to be sure. It just confused me! My gut feeling was for S but the other one was more experienced, spoke much better English but there was something - I felt that she could be to cliquey with the other nannies and I didn't want that. So S got the job and was incredible. She even cooked and cleaned for us. I still really miss her.

So I have high hopes for G. I'm sure that she will work well with us and give me that support that I need so I can run my business. Because at the end of the day the main question you really have for a nanny is will you love my baby?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Mama N!

    But I seem to recall you saying that only the truly upper crust in Britain hired nannies... does this mean you are now officially hoity toity? Are you now Madame N??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes dear, Madame N it is. No seriously, she's not really a nanny more of a babysitter! Just like your lovely D.

    Having a nanny isn't so common here in the UK as in the US. More people tend to send their kiddies to nursery school/kindergarten. My lovely G is only available until May and then Master R will probably go to kindy a couple of days a week. He's so starved for playmates that he was running after kids in John Lewis today! Poor boy. He misses his mates!

    ReplyDelete