Saturday, March 21, 2009

Book review: Supernanny by Jo Frost

Source: Amazon

While I'm waiting for Mama H to post me my New Yorkers, I'm desperate for reading material. I've even swiped Mr M's hard reading The Forgotten Man as I await my mags.

I was visiting a friend, M, last week to meet her new little baby (and raid her bookshelf). He was just one week old and does nothing but sleep - remember those days? She also has a perfectly angelic little three year old. He is a dream child. He won't eat anything but never fusses and is so respectful. I asked her how she's disciplined him over the years and she didn't really say anything specific. She said that her husband did most of it. I didn't buy it considering M's a preschool teacher by training and is a fulltime mum who has never had anyone but close family care for him.

Picking the Supernanny book off the shelf M said it was great and she really agreed with the book. We went on to discuss how sad it is to see mothers sleep train 8 week old babies and the whole Gina Ford movement in the UK of babies trained into routines from birth like little robots. I followed more of a Dr Sears approach for Master R and believe in most of Sear's attachment parenting philosophy. M said I would probably enjoy Supernanny in that case so I took it home for a read.

Most of you would know Jo Frost from her TV show both in the UK and US called Supernanny. The few times I've watched it I've been moved to tears at the sheer frustration of the parents and wonderment that such beautiful babies can turn into horrendous monsters hitting and screaming at their parents. Unfortunately I've seen it happen with a friend's little boy. As a result Mr M and I are determined not to let that happen to Master R and we're probably a little on the firm side with him. Loving of course, but firm.

Jo Frost sums up her philosophy with ten rules:

1. Praise and rewards
2. Consistency
3. Routine
4. Boundaries
5. Discipline
6. Warnings
7. Explanations
8. Restraint
9. Responsibility
10. Relaxation

These rules are then adapted to the different issues at each stage in a child's life such as feeding, sleeping, dressing, bedtime etc.

The book is set out in a very reader friendly manner and is a quick read. She has a no nonsense approach that I agree with and is all about common sense. Most of the book is more relevant to older children and she does say she doesn't recommend most of her methods until they're 2-3 years old. I really like how Frost admits that she's never had any children of her own or even any formal qualifications but she has been in hundreds of homes and looked after hundreds of children and that it does make her an expert in the field. I can appreciate that and don't believe you need to have children of your own to spot trouble or an alphabet of letters after your name.

A good read and probably a good reference to have sitting on the shelf in case your angel's halo slips as he/she gets a little older and starts showing defiance. But let's hope that doesn't happen!

1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading Wandering Star. I was amazed that you are the only other blogger that has listed it in your favorite books list...and then it was you only book. I chose this post to send you a comment because it is your "book" post. I wrote a bit about the book, even before I had finished it on one of my blogs ( writepurpose) You might enjoy reading it. I certaihnly appreciate that book. Anyway...I have now peeked in at your blog. I enjoyed your finished projects...and suspect you have fascinating projects that need an "UN" in front of them...and I like your sense of boundary & propriety with the Miss & Master Initials only. Happy Mama days to you.

    ReplyDelete