Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Two delicious adult main courses

I really hope Mr M doesn't get used to this but the past couple of nights I've really outdone myself in the kitchen.

In NYC I was a big FreshDirect.com shopper and here I swear by Ocado.com - very similar as far as quality. What I love most is the recipes section where you can add all the ingredients directly into your shopping bag. Such a time saver! I tend to add a couple every time I shop. Most are just OK but these two were delicious!

Source: Ocado.com

Sunday night was the Beetroot Rosti with Smoked Trout. Normally we're not big fish eaters but I'm really trying to add more to our diets. These seemed like a quick and easy dish for a Sunday night when I don't really feel like cooking. It was really yummy and even Mr M wanted seconds after initially screwing up his nose at the smoked trout. The true test was the next day when Master R picked out all the fish and threw away the rosti. Mr M and I actually discussed it the night before and were 100% certain that he'd eat the rosti and throw the fish. Such a little carnivore.

Source: Ocado.com

Monday night (and leftovers Tuesday - hurrah!) was the Blanquette du Veau. However here in the UK it's really difficult to get veal as people don't think it's PC so I substituted with sirloin. I was running a little behind so I ended up simmering the meat and veg for 1 1/2 hours but I don't think it made much of a difference.

This meal was one of the top 5 I've ever made. I served it with mashed potato and it was truly devine. I just finished my leftovers now and I wish I'd made more. It was well worth the slaving in the kitchen that's required. It would also be a good crockpot/slow cooker recipe (Mama V, I hope you're using mine!). Just throw it all in and set to low and 6 hours later it's done.

Master R also loved it and ate all the veggies and meat! He also watched me peel, steam and mash the potatos continually saying "tato, tato, tato". So sweet!

1 comment:

  1. Mama N, I am so impressed. I couldn't tell if the photos were of your actual meals that you made, or from the Ocado.com website, but they looked beautiful. Still not sure how you find the time to do all of the things you do . . .I think you are walking a dangerous line here with Mister M and Master R having very high expectations.

    ReplyDelete