Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Finished but ungifted gift knits





You can be forgiven for thinking that all I do is knit. I do actually look after a child, highly reliant partner and run a business too! I just squeeze in as much knitting as possible in the evenings when I don't have the brain power to do anything else.

These knits (and one crochet) are a little different. All but the top vest were started over a year ago and intended as gifts. For some reason they were never quite finished. Until today. While my darling Master R took a 4 hour nap I finished all four projects allowing me to cross them off my WIPS list. However, it's a bitter sweet completion because it reminds me of what a slack gift knitter I am.

The navy jumper (sweater) with the orange was intended as a gift for Mama V's Master K on his first birthday. I had finished all the knitting when I realised it was HUGE. It would fit a 5 year old. So I rushed to Borders and bought some books instead feeling really guilty that I couldn't provide a proper handknitted item.

The bunny blankie was intended as a gift for a friend who had her second baby in September. I actually knitted the whole thing while driving (I was a passenger obviously) from NYC to Philadelphia. But I never got around to stitching on the face until today. It will have to be a little snuggly for my baby now!

The crocheted bear/pig/monkey - can't remember what it's supposed to be - started life as a gift for an Australian friend (hence the green and gold Aussie colours) living in New York when she had her second baby. However this was the first thing I had ever crocheted and part of my learning process. As a result I was never happy with it. The arms and legs are all different sizes and the eyes look odd. Despite it's imperfections I stitched it together this afternoon and Mr M thought it was so cute and said baby 2 will love it. Not sure about that but it's too hideously made to give away!

The beautiful cabled vest at the top is my way of making it up to my friends. I started this on Saturday and already it was finished today. A wonderfully quick and impressive vest that will be wrapped and given to a friend's little boy on his second birthday next weekend. Of course I can see the imperfections, but I'm determined to overlook these and realise that it is a handknit and that's all part of the beauty.

I will wrap the vest and gift it next weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I love the bunny blankie! I've been checking on that one on Ravelry waiting for a picture. I have an unfinished teddy bear to put a face on and I'm a little intimidated to do it. It was an activity at a little girl's birthday party. Her mother sewed the bears and the kids stuffed them at the party and then the moms were given the task of finishing them.

    ReplyDelete