Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Using real nappies

Source: Green Baby

Following Mama H's post on World Environment Day I have taken a look at how eco-friendly my parenting is. I was a prolific user of paper towels using rolls a week to clean up after messy Master R. Conscience pricked I discovered that Green Baby had these fantastic washable wipes. They're so soft and durable. I've bought a couple of packs now and are so much softer on Master R's face too. He now uses them to clean his own face and hands during and after eating.

Encouraged by my experience with the wipes I thought about washable nappies. Because I live in an "underprivileged" postcode the council will pay £54.91 towards washable nappies. I received my voucher and went back to Green Baby to research nappy options. Many of them are really bulky with lots of different layers. I chose the Itti Bitti nappies. They have two layers that clip inside but don't seem bulky.

The downside is that I do have to change them more often than disposables. With the disposables I'd change Master R's nappy maybe 4 times a day now I need to do it about 6 times or he pees straight through it! I only have 4 nappies for the moment so I use them until I've run out and then switch to disposables. I guess I'm also lucky that Master R only does number 2s every 2-3 days so washing is easy. I just throw the wet nappies in the washing machine and wash them with the next load.

Verdict? I will buy some more and try to use predominantly real nappies. As for baby 2 I won't be using real nappies for a while - newborns poop far too much and I'm not scrubbing them...

4 comments:

  1. hey there :) Nice post :) You've chosen some popular & luxurious Aussie designed nappies there too! Enjoy!

    Re. newborn poo - if you breastfeed the poo is water soluble so can essentially be washed out in the machine with no scrubbing at all! In fact, I don't know anyone who scrubs, you can use bidegradable flushable liners for super ease of use (fantastic when out and travelling), or microfleece liners off which poo comes rather easily, &/or consider a hose like a 'little squirt' which attaches easily to the plumbing of your toilet and you simply hose off any solids! Easy. (They are great for dealing with vomit too!)

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by ausnappynetwork! I didn't realise they were Australian - just like me! I guess I must have my eyes closed while changing Master R not to see the Made in Australia label. I will try them with the new baby and see how I get on.

    I think I need to try a different brand for Master R though as he seems to wet through them after 1-2 hours. Any suggestions most welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are soooo many brands out there! It can be overwhelming, can't it? Some people find something they like and buy 30 of them, other people take years and try out various recommendations... I was a combination of both.

    You could try using one type for night time (longer lasting) like a fitted nappy and good cover which can be added to (eg. bamboo is very absorbent). Pocket nappies are also very adjustable, they have quite a bit of capacity to add extra, but as they don't have the double line of defence (only one lot of leg elastic) you might want to have a combination of styles. Another advantage of mixing it up a bit is you get the benefit of fast drying times out of pockets, and bomb-proof long-lasting-ness of fitteds.

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lucy. I still find that there's far too much choice. I'm going to get some special night ones and then try a couple different brands of the regular ones with bamboo boosers and see if that works.

    ReplyDelete