Monday, July 27, 2009

An overlooked finished object

Most of my knitting is done for others. Generally for my darling Master R. But as I look through my Ravelry queue I've done a lot for myself but I'm just never happy with it. If it's not perfect I can't wear it. I'll be embarrassed to say that I made it and will have to tell anyone who comments on it how terrible it is and point out its every blemish. Perhaps I'm too hard on myself?

This cardigan however is different. I actually started it while on a terrible 8 hour bumper to bumper traffic jammed trip to Boston last summer. I managed to finish the back, front and start each of the sleeves before we arrived home and it was cast aside in favour of more wintery knits.

In desperate need of a white cardigan I resumed the project a couple of months ago. What struck me is the way my knitting had changed in a year. Where I had restarted the sleeves there was a clear line of distinction. The older knitting was looser and less uniform while my new knitting lovely and tight with all the stitches standing as they should. I nearly ripped back the old knitting and started again but then I thought that this is what makes a handknit unique and beautiful. Maybe I need a little imperfection?


I'm really happy with how this turned out. It's small enough and tight enough to look great over dresses and the fine cotton (all knitted on size US2 needles!!) the perfect weight for the British "summer". It's inspired me to do a bit more knitting for myself. I just need to get through all these gift knits first. Everyone, stop having babies please!

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely summer cardigan! It is really amazing how skills at a craft evolve. I feel that way with each new project I take on. I do agree with you that I would like to knit for myself more. I haven't knit anything for myself yet, so I must find a project. I am definitely getting tired of knitting hats for gifts! I am looking forward to some upcoming newborn projects. I am starting a newborn kimono this week.

    ReplyDelete