Monday, July 27, 2009

A month today I'll meet my new baby

On 27 August I'll finally get to meet my new son or daughter. I'm actually starting to feel that it's real now after months of almost denial. This pregnancy is so different emotionally. I haven't had the luxury of spending the time to really feel the love or even bond with the unborn child in the way I did with Master R. When you already have a child, it's just so different to the first.

With the first pregnancy I spent hours singing and stroking my stomach. This time I'm lucky to get a 5 minute shower when Master R goes to sleep. I have no doubt that as soon as I meet him/her my heart will just melt and I'll be completely smitten - as Mama LS said in her debut post. But right now I'm so completely absorbed with everything else that I haven't had a chance to dwell on the baby - something I will change as soon as he/she is born.

On Friday I went for the final scan. I didn't see Master R past 20 weeks so this was such a treat! I did get teary as I gazed upon the face on my child for the first time. Perhaps not knowing the sex of a child limits the bonding to a certain extent. I still can't tell if it's a boy or girl from the face. These images always seem so abstract to me. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! What a scan. My first thought was GIRL, but I don't know why for sure. Master K and I just spent a weekend with his little cousin, a girl, and I kept staring at the differences in their bone structure. It's so fascinating! Cousin was just so much more delicate looking (but not acting!) Anyway, how exciting - I can't wait to rub that tum in just over a week's time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am getting a boy vibe but there is a lot of testosterone around here so what other vibe would I have??!! He/She looks healthy and beautiful which is all that matters. I did not find out the sex of Dorsey but did for Gunnar and I had the exact same experience as far as bonding with the second while being pregnant. There is just no time to and you are so focused on numero uno...! Do not worry because you will as soon as he/she arrives and you will be happy for the time alone and focused numero uno.
    You look great and I hope the last month is not too uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thinking girl!! Seeing the photo of your baby brings such a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete