Monday, July 6, 2009

Masquerade evening of glamour

No knitting this weekend but there was some sewing. Saturday morning I delegated childcare responsibilities to Mr M and locked myself in my sewing/guest room to finish this ball gown in time for the party on Saturday night. Thankfully I did manage to get it completely finished and pressed with a couple of hours to spare. It was actually a very simple bump friendly and colourful dress just as I'd envisaged.

The event was a 40th birthday party for the wife of an ex-colleague of Mr M. I'd met him a couple of times but never his wife. It's very odd going to a party not knowing the birthday girl. And I didn't even meet her on the night.

What a party! Most weddings are not this extravagant. Held at the V&A Museum the surroundings were just beautiful. It had a Venetian theme, hence the masks. I'd bought ours online and hoped that it matched my dress - luckily it did perfectly.

Back to the party. There was a string quartet on gondola in the middle of the lake in the garden. After we moved inside past the sculpture gallery there was a live band. The daughters aged 13 and 10 sang a beautiful song from Hairspray where they had adapted the words for their mother. They were incredible! Such confidence. I had tears in my eyes. Following the band were opera singers. Other entertainment included massages, makeup sessions, an ice cream stand (see picture above!) and a photo booth.

I'd actually managed to slip my feet into some 4 inch heels for the occasion. My legs held up quite well until about 11pm. By then I was ready to limp to the car and go home to my lovely soft bed. Y can imagine the relief when I took off my shoes and walked on flat ground. Bliss! But beauty means suffering, even when pregnant!

1 comment:

  1. The gown is gorgeous Mama N! You look absolutely beautiful in it. It sounded like a well-deserved festive night out before baby #2 arrives. You make it all seem so simple. If only I had 1/10 of your talent! I am very impressed by the heels and the well-matched mask.

    ReplyDelete